Today’s offering from Chef Tim is just in time for the September 1 opening day of the dove hunting season.
For those of you successful in bagging a limit of those elusive birds, here’s a favorite recipe of mine, Chef Tim says. This recipe works for any dark or red meat. The mourning dove hunting season runs September 1 to November 1.
- Fillet the breast meat from each dove.
- Place in a glass dish and marinate with your favorite soda.
- You need to use the regular, sugar version and not the unleaded, sugar-free one.
The sugar in the soda imparts a slightly sweet taste and the acid in the soda breaks down the fibers in the meat.
- *Marinate in the refrigerator for at least 4 hours or overnight.*
- Drain the breast and then cut strips of bacon into thirds.
- Wrap a whole breast in the 1/3 bacon strips and secure with a toothpick. Place on a medium indirect heat grill.
- Watch closely and turn only once.
- When the bacon is done, take the breasts off the grill and serve hot.
Chef Tim reminds readers that consuming raw or uncooked food can be harmful to your health, and increase your chances of acquiring a foodborne illness.