Want a great way to Go GMO-FREE? Make your own Venison Bologna!
This is a great recipe but it does require some time. You will need to set aside a full consecutive 48 hours in order to do this correctly and ensure that the end product is delicious and safe.
Venison Bologna Recipe
Homemade Venison Bologna
- Meat grinder(not necessary, but makes filling the casings much easier.
- 10 pounds of ground Venison
- 7 tablespoons of TenderQuick
- 3/4 cup of white sugar
- 5 teaspoons of fine ground pepper
- 2 teaspoons of fine ground mustard
- 1 teaspoon of mace
- 2 tablespoons of liquid smoke
- 2 teaspoons of garlic powder NOT garlic salt
- 5 teaspoons of red crushed peppers
- 1/4 teaspoon of cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon of chili powder
- 4 teaspoons of Montreal steak seasoning
- 2 teaspoons of Accent
- Venison casings
- Set the liquid smoke to the side as you will not need this until later. DO NOT Mix liquid smoke into the dry ingredients.
- Mix all dry ingredients together in a large mixing bowl.
- Spread your ground venison out on a clean, dry, non-porous surface.
- Sprinkle spice mixture evenly on ground venison using all of it.
- Add the Liquid Smoke to the ground venison
- Knead the mixture by hand until all the spice is distributed evenly through all the venison.
Prepare Venison for Filling Casings:
- Place venison mixture into a closable container or cover top with plastic wrap.
- Refrigerate for 24 hours.
- After 24 hours remove from refrigeration
- Prepare venison casings by soaking in hot water.
- Place the meat into the grinder and grind the meat twice.
Stuffing the Venison Casings:
- Put the casing over the end of the meat grinder as you are grinding it the second time.
- Fill the casing with venison leaving at least 3 inches at the end so there is room to tie it.
- Tie the end of the bag once you are finished.
Cooking the Bologna:
- Fill a large pot with water bring it to a 170-degree boil.
- Place the bologna in the boiling water for 1 hour.
- When the bologna has been boiling for almost an hour it will begin to float.
- Remove the bologna sticks from the pot.
- Hang them for 1 more hour to allow them to drain.
- Refrigerate the drained meat for 24 hours.