The days are getting Colder! What better way to warm up those chilled hunters than to sit them down to a steaming hot bowl of Savory Venison Chili.
Here is an awesome recipe for Savory Venison Chili. What makes this recipe amazing is other game meats such as Elk, Wild Boar or most any other hardy wild game meat can be substituted.
Savory Venison Chili
Prep Time: 20 min
Cook Time: 1 Hour
Total Time: About 1 Hour 30 Min.
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 red onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 tablespoons dark brown sugar
- 3 cups red wine
- 4 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 4 tablespoons tomato paste
- 4 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- salt to taste
- 4 tablespoons canola oil
- 10 slices cooked bacon, diced
- 2 pounds venison stew meat, trimmed and finely diced
- 2 cups black beans, cooked and drained
Preparation and Cooking Instructions:
Making the Sauce:
- Melt butter in a large pot or Dutch Oven over medium heat.
- Stir in the chopped onion and minced garlic, and sauté for 3 to 4 minutes.
- Stir in the brown sugar and sauté for 2 to 3 more minutes.
- Then stir in the red wine, vinegar, tomato paste, chicken stock, cumin, cayenne pepper, chili powder, cilantro and salt.
- Simmer for 30 to 35 minutes, or until the mixture is reduced by about half.
Cooking the Venison Mixture:
- Meanwhile, heat the oil in a heavy skillet or large cast iron skillet over medium-high heat.
- Stir in the bacon and fry for 3 to 4 minutes, or until the bacon is browned.
- Move the bacon to one side of the skillet and add the venison to the empty side of the skillet.
- Season the meat with salt to taste and sauté the meat for 15 minutes, or until well browned on all sides.
- Add the beans mixing all ingredients together well.
- Now transfer this mixture to the large simmer pot or Dutch Oven.
- Mix all ingredients together thoroughly and let simmer for about 20 more minutes.
- Hot Corn Bread
- buttered Noodles
- Or with Buttered bread