This is our traditional venison stroganoff and is sure to become a family favorite wild game recipe. Juicy strips of venison and chunks of mushrooms smothered in rich beef gravy sauce makes this venison recipe – yummy!
1 ½ lb. venison round
1 ¼ c. beef bouillon steak
1 c. sliced mushrooms
Flour, seasoned with salt
2 T. butter & pepper
2 T. flour
3 T. butter
1 ½ tsp. prepared mustard
1 onion, chopped
¼ tsp. basil
1 c. sour cream
¼ tsp. thyme
Parsley sprigs & pimento chunks
Salt & pepper to taste
- Cut venison into strips.
- Roll meat in seasoned flour.
- Brown meat in 3 tablespoons flour in a skillet.
- Transfer browned meat to an ovenproof casserole.
- Place the onion, thyme, basil, salt and pepper in the skillet with the beef bouillon and heat to boiling.
- Scrape the skillet bottom to loosen any meat particles, then pour mixture over meat.
- Cover the casserole and bake at 350 degrees for 1 ½ hours, turning once.
- In a skillet, fry mushrooms over medium heat in 2 tablespoons butter for 5 minutes.
- Stir in flour, then add liquid from the casserole (add a little water if most of the liquid has cooked away).
- Stir constantly until the mixture cooks and thickens.
- Add mustard and sour cream and bring to a boil.
- Pour over meat and serve over cooked rice.
- Garnish with parsley and pimento. Serves 4
Subscribe to our weekly newsletter below and never miss the latest outdoor news, gear reviews, or an exclusive offer from our partners. Just add your email address in the form below and click subscribe.