This is our traditional venison stroganoff and is sure to become a family favorite wild game recipe. Juicy strips of venison and chunks of mushrooms smothered in rich beef gravy sauce makes this venison recipe – yummy!
1 ½ lb. venison round
1 ¼ c. beef bouillon steak
1 c. sliced mushrooms
Flour, seasoned with salt
2 T. butter & pepper
2 T. flour
3 T. butter
1 ½ tsp. prepared mustard
1 onion, chopped
¼ tsp. basil
1 c. sour cream
¼ tsp. thyme
Parsley sprigs & pimento chunks
Salt & pepper to taste
- Cut venison into strips.
- Roll meat in seasoned flour.
- Brown meat in 3 tablespoons flour in a skillet.
- Transfer browned meat to an ovenproof casserole.
- Place the onion, thyme, basil, salt and pepper in the skillet with the beef bouillon and heat to boiling.
- Scrape the skillet bottom to loosen any meat particles, then pour mixture over meat.
- Cover the casserole and bake at 350 degrees for 1 ½ hours, turning once.
- In a skillet, fry mushrooms over medium heat in 2 tablespoons butter for 5 minutes.
- Stir in flour, then add liquid from the casserole (add a little water if most of the liquid has cooked away).
- Stir constantly until the mixture cooks and thickens.
- Add mustard and sour cream and bring to a boil.
- Pour over meat and serve over cooked rice.
- Garnish with parsley and pimento. Serves 4