Eating shrimp offers a variety of health benefits. Shrimp is packed with several vitamins and minerals and is a great source of protein. Added to that eating shrimp can also promote a healthy heart and brain due to the fact that shrimp contains omega-3 fatty acids and the antioxidant astaxanthin.
We’re going to be creating a delicious spicy shrimp loaded taco that is packed with flavor and healthy goodness.
Recipe: Homemade Spicy Shrimp Tacos
6-12 Large or Jumbo (fresh or frozen) Shrimp
Spicy Shrimp Taco Seasoning Mix:
2 teaspoons each chili powder and cumin
1/2 teaspoon each onion powder and garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper (more or less to taste – if you like it spicy – add some more)
1 teaspoon coarse sea salt
1 teaspoon coarse ground black pepper
- First clean and de-vein your large or jumbo shrimp in cool water – (fresh or frozen) either work fine. (if you’re using tail on shrimp – remove the tails)
- Second meal use trimmings and odd-shaped pieces from the first meal.
- Re-heat in pan with olive oil and dill weed.
- Break fish apart into flakes and stir in freshly chopped cilantro to taste.
- Serve in heated taco shells with regular add-ons (onions, diced tomato, olives, sour cream, etc.) and Spanish rice.
Sauce: Pulse all the sauce ingredients in a food processor or blender until mostly smooth.
Slaw: Toss some of the sauce (not all) with the cabbage. We’ll use the leftover sauce to top the tacos.
Shrimp: Pat the shrimp dry with paper towels. Toss the shrimp in a small bowl with the spice mix to get it coated. Heat a drizzle of oil a large skillet over medium high heat. Add the shrimp to the hot pan and saute for 5-8 minutes, flipping occasionally, until the shrimp are cooked through.
Assembly: For the prettiest and easiest-to-eat assembly, go in this order: smashed avocado, slaw, and shrimp. Finish with Cotjia cheese, lime wedges, and extra sauce.
Subscribe to our weekly newsletter below and never miss the latest outdoor news, gear reviews, or an exclusive offer from our partners. Just add your email address in the form below and click subscribe.